How to check the registration number of a Chinese company in 2020
If you do business with a Chinese company, you may ask how to check the registration number of a Chinese company.
Before we discuss how to check the registration number of a Chinese company, we should first emphasize why there is a registration number. Chinese law requires all companies in China to be formally registered. The registered business license has a unique registration number/business license number. The absence of this document indicates an improper operation.
This number is recorded as the government in the business registration department (AIC-Administration for Industry and Commerce) of the designated province. These records are made public through the website. In this way, it is easier to confirm whether a Chinese company has a business license and find the registration number. This sounds simple, but it is far from the actual situation, because you have to understand the working mode and language of the system. We are here to help you learn how to easily check the registration number of a Chinese company.
1. Why inquire about the registration number of a Chinese company?
Everything in the world is good and bad, and we don’t want to be deceived. Therefore, the registration number of the Chinese company must be checked. Essentially, this method is to verify whether the company is genuine. Check the company’s registration number and confirm its legitimacy. All cooperative companies must do this.
2. Evolution of China Business Registration Number
In October 2015, China's business registration number changed. The government issued an 18-digit Chinese business registration number. Companies across China have adopted this change.
This information is very important for global companies doing business with Chinese companies before this date. Although you have noticed that the registration number has been changed for five years, don't be surprised-you are still dealing with the same person.
So, what caused the evolution of China's business registration number? With the rapid development of China, more and more new companies are registered. The previous 15-digit registration number is no longer valid. In consideration of this requirement, the new registration number has been adjusted. It has also been modernized to incorporate elements such as tax registration numbers and organizational codes, which are equally important documents for companies.
The name of the 18-digit code is called "Unified Social Credit Code" (Unified Social Credit Code), which has been fully effective at the end of 2017. Although the eighteen numbers are long, they are all valid.
- The first number = registration authority (usually 9, representing AIC)
- The second number = type of registered entity (corporate, personally owned, etc.)
- The third to eighth digits = registered area code (highest administrative division, relevant city, etc.) (
- The ninth to seventeenth digits = organization code (may be the old tax registration number)
- Eighteenth digit = check digit (number or letter)
3. Inquiry method of Chinese company registration number
Now that you have understood the working principle and meaning of the registration number, let us explore the method of checking the Chinese company registration number. Many steps need to be taken, but you need to ensure that all documents are legal.
- Request a copy of the registration number from the company you need to verify
- Look up the company name in the official registry of China. Website: http://www.gsxt.gov.cn/index.html (This website does not have an SSL certificate, but it is actually safe)
- Compare numbers to confirm legitimacy